Life at the Drawing Board and a Teaser from DOTS
It’s back to writing and revamping Dagger of the Sun (DOTS) – yes, I also feel like I do this A LOT!
I felt like I had to revamp my story before submissions for a few very important reasons:
1. Delphyne had no real motive to be involved in any of the action. Don’t get me wrong, I tried to give her a motive. (i.e: She’s Apollo’s friend so she cares, dammit!) But in the end, this wasn’t enough – in Booklandia, friendship can only take a character so far.
2. I HATED the ending. So for obvious reasons this had to change.
3. I jumped into the action too fast. Great for plot development, not so great for character development – hence, I needed to find the book’s Zen balance.
4. My cousin – aka Book Critique #1 – told me the first chapter was too bloody, so if someone was reading it and eating at the same time…well, you get the picture.
5. My other cousin – aka Self-Proclaimed Book Critique #2 – told me the title was too funky. (But I’m not changing this…NOT again. Besides it’s a working title and I don’t have time to agonize over it yet.)
So what’s up with the new DOTS?
Well, in addition to the above changes, I also have to move around all the chapter so they would fit with the new life story I gave Delphyne. (I ended up completely overhauling her life, but I’m satisfied with the new story – it feels right.) Apollo gets a later introduction, but his sons arrive earlier. Delphyne also has a new mentor. Some minor changes included switching the spelling of Lord Kaelus’ name from “Kale” to “Kael.”
I also upgraded some of the armour and weapons in the book. (I was inspired by Kellan Lutz’s upcoming film, The Legend of Hercules.)
Finally, after much agony and torment, I decided on a new first line for the novel – which is actually today’s teaser:
Delphyne woke to the metallic taste of blood in her mouth and the suffocating scent of death.
So are you tempted to read more?
And now it’s back to the drawing board – although, I don’t really get to draw anything. *sigh*
(aka The “Writer”)