From the Land of ARCs: Part 2
Remember when I mentioned by busy schedule and all the ARCs I still had to review…well, my “to-read” pile has just increased in height because three more books have been added to the list.
Don’t get me wrong, I am beyond delighted to receive the wonderful review copies and super-excited to begin reading, but I need to get way better at time management if I’m going to survive the next two weeks!
The latest ARCs I have received are vastly different in genre, but no less fun:
1. The Shadow Prince by Bree Despain. Yeah, so Greco-Roman mythology…how could I say no? This is a children’s/young adult novel releasing on March 11th in stores.
Haden Lord, the disgraced prince of the Underrealm, has been sent to the mortal world to entice a girl into returning with him to the land of the dead. Posing as a student at Olympus Hills High—a haven for children of the rich and famous—Haden must single out the one girl rumored to be able to restore immortality to his race.
Daphne Raines has dreams much bigger than her tiny southern Utah town, so when her rock star dad suddenly reappears, offering her full tuition to Olympus Hills High’s prestigious music program, she sees an opportunity to catch the break she needs to make it as a singer. But upon moving into her estranged father’s mansion in California, and attending her glamorous new school, Daphne soon realizes she isn’t the only student in Olympus who doesn’t quite belong.
Haden and Daphne—destined for each other—know nothing of the true stakes their fated courtship entails. As war between the gods brews, the teenagers’ lives collide. But Daphne won’t be wooed easily and when it seems their prophesied link could happen, Haden realizes something he never intended—he’s fallen in love. Now to save themselves, Haden and Daphne must rewrite their destinies. But as their destinies change, so do the fates of both their worlds.
Doesn’t this book just sound crazy epic?!
2. The Witch of Clan Sinclair by Karen Ranney. This is the second book of the Sinclair Clan series, of which I also have an ARC for book 3. It releases on April 29th.
Logan Harrison is looking for a wife. As the Lord Provost of Edinburgh, he needs a conventional and diplomatic woman who will stand by his side and help further his political ambitions. He most certainly does not need Mairi Sinclair, the fiery, passionate, fiercely beautiful woman who tries to thwart him at every turn. But if she’s so wrong for him, why can’t he stop kissing her? He is completely bewitched.
Mairi Sinclair has never met anyone like Logan Harrison, the perfect example of everything she finds wrong with the world. He’s also incredibly handsome, immensely popular, and impossible to resist. His kisses inflame her and awaken a passion she can barely control.
Can two people who are at such odds admit to a love that would bind them together for life?
3. The Batgirl Vol. 4: Wanted by Gail Simone. I got this ARC from DC Comics and, since Batgirl is one of my favourite characters, you can only imagine the goofy smile on my face when I got the email. This comic releases on May 27th.
Batgirl struggles to continue fighting crime after being emotionally drained by the death of her brother, James, Jr. With her relationships with Batman and her father strained, Batgirl face one of Batman’s most ruthless villains, The Ventriloquist, alone. Collects Batgirl issues #19-25, Ventriliquist #1.
I’m interested to see how this Barbara Gordon will be written…the story sounds like it’s going to be heavy from the start.
(aka, “I’m drowning in my TBR ocean!”)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
This entry was posted on March 2, 2014 by Rika Ashton. It was filed under Favourite Authors, Rika's Ramblings, Updates and was tagged with ARC, barbara, batgirl, bree despain, daphne, dc comics, gail simone, greco-roman, haden, into the dark #1, Karen Ranney, Logan, mairi, The Batgirl: Wanted, the shadow prince, the witch of clan sinclair, Volume 4, young adult.